What is better for my business, SEO or PPC? The short answer is both are important. The long answer is going to take, well, a little longer to answer. Let’s start by looking at the differences between SEO and PPC.
SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
SEO, or Search Engine Optimization is the process by which an SEO agent who works for you makes time to add content to your site that is search engine friendly. This means your agent adds content to your website that search engines see as relevant to the searches people are performing. SEO agents also make the time to ensure your pages have the appropriate title tags, keyword tags, alt tags and more that let search engines know what a specific web page is about. Web page relevance is important for SEO because each page needs to be relevant to the search people perform. The best way to illustrate this point is to give an example of a worst case scenario.
If you wanted people to find your web page for the search “Carpet Cleaning” you would NOT want to create a page about “Pizza”.
That sounds very far fetched, and it is intended to be. The right way to create a Search Engine friendly page is to create a page that is relevant to the way people in your area search, and the more specific you can be, the better.
A good SEO example would be to create a page all about “Carpet Cleaning in South LA” in order to be relevant for the search “Carpet Cleaning South LA”. The closer your page content is to the search term the higher your page will be in the search results for a specific search.
A good Search Engine Optimization Specialist will create multiple pages relative to the types of searches your potential customers will be searching for. Search Engine Optimization is a process that takes time, however, once you are on the first page of Google your chances of having someone click to visit your site goes up exponentially. A recent study by Google shows that 94% of people performing a search will click on a link shown in the first page, while only 6% will click a link on the second page.
Note: Someone visiting your website does not in any way guarantee they will be calling you to set up an appointment. To help solicit calls you will want to ensure your page is designed for maximum conversions.
So what do I do if I’m not on the first page of Google? First of all don’t panic. Your business is not going to go under just because you aren’t on the first page of Google. Studies show that most carpet cleaning and cabinet refinishing clients will come to you through the value of networking, knocking doors, attending business networking events, word of mouth, etc. Internet marketing is just one avenue to pursue when trying to grab market share. Internet marketing is a very profitable marketing strategy, but it is not the only marketing tool you should be using. You do want people who search online for your services in your area to easily find you though, so what do you do if you’re not naturally on the first page of Google yet? First of all, don’t stop your Search Engine Optimizing, eventually that will pay off. Next consider PPC or Pay Per Click Advertising to virtually guarantee fist page results today!
Next: You can buy first page ranking and this is called PPC or Pay Per Click Advertising. PPC is a way to guarantee that your business will show up on the first page of Google when someone searches your business’ products or services based on what you want to be ranked for. If you do want to set up your own PPC account through Google there are some things you should keep in mind about PPC. PPC or Pay Per Click means that you only pay Google when someone clicks on a link that sends people to a page of your website. It does not guarantee that the person visiting your site will book a job with you. For this reason it is best to have a good online marketing plan or lead conversion plan in place to guarantee the best Return on Investment (ROI). Here are some helpful tips when setting up you PPC Campaigns:
- Set a maximum amount you are willing to pay for each click.
- In highly populated and competitive markets clicks for the search “Carpet Cleaning” can be very high, I’ve seen them upwards of $39 per click. This means each time someone clicks on your ad, you will be charged $39. Setting a maximum CPC of say $5 will mean that your ad will only show at certain times of the day in certain areas, but will keep your costs much lower.
- Ensure your Ad is linked to a landing page that is highly relevant to the search
- An example of this would be an ad that will be displayed for the search “Carpet Cleaning Lafayette” should link to a page called “Carpet Cleaning Lafayette” and be optimized for that search term. This will give you better placement and at a lower cost than even your competitors.
- Make sure you have a good call to action and reason to call you on that page. This means your landing page should have:
- a coupon or special
- your phone number big and bold and easy to see
- an expiration date on the special that is relatively close to today’s date
- This will create an urgency on the part of the potential customer to call ASAP.
- Set a maximum daily amount to spend each day
- Google allows you to set a budgeted amount you want to spend each day. This helps ensure that your ad campaigns will run throughout the month and that you won’t go through your entire PPC budget within just a few days.
Chem-Dry’s Web Marketing Services (WMS) is Google Adwords certified meaning, we have completed many hours of study and taken exams administered by Google to ensure we understand the best way to execute a good PPC campaign.
Both SEO and PPC are important parts of a good Search Engine Marketing campaign. You should never “put all of your eggs in one basket” as they say. WMS is very good at helping our clients attain natural first page rankings over time with our SEO strategies. We are also good at helping your business with PPC campaigns too. Remember:
- SEO will help you gain first page rankings over time, and once you are on the first page of Google, you are 22 times more likely to get a click to your website than if you are on page 2 and 90 times more likely than if you are on page 3 or greater.
- First page results don’t guarantee booked jobs unless you have good conversion
- If you want to virtually guarantee first page results, you will want to start a good PPC campaign.
- Whether you want better SEO or PPC, Chem-Dry’s WMS can help you achieve your goals.